Saturday, August 2, 2008

Now I'm Sewing!

Jennifer has inspired me! After seeing the fun that she had making my dress, I decided to try sewing again. I have sewed in the past, but it's been about 20 years since I've done anything besides patching things. So, with apprehension, and pep talks from Jennifer, I decided to jump into handbag making!

I love looking at the fabric bags that are available in the stores now, with their bright fabrics and fun details. But usually something about them doesn't suit me. So, I made my own! I stumbled around quite a bit, had to pull out a lot of seams, but had fun and I'm happy with the results.

The upper photo shows my first bag. I love it, but it is too small for all the stuff I carry. I guess I could carry less. But I love to have my cell phone, camera, camera charger, wallet, sunglasses, (you get the picture) with me at all times. I must admit that when I scaled down and used this purse for a couple days, my shoulder didn't hurt!
But, on to the next bag. This one is definitely bigger! I call it the Happy Hobo bag. I went for brighter material. And glued rhinestones in places. It was interesting installing a zipper when I haven't done it in so long. Made some mistakes, but it came out okay. I think if I ever made this bag again, I'd add a zippered divider pocket in the middle. Gotta love pockets in handbags!

I really enjoyed making these. Now I feel torn. Make jewelry or make handbags. Hmmm.....

3 comments:

Mei Tan said...

Janine, both bags are beautiful.
Its funny (no not your bags) really, I got hooked on wire jewelry while searching for sewing projects. I was looking for patchwork projects on line when I stumbled upon wire wrap jewelry. I got hooked to wire after that and never touch my sewing machine after that :) I might start "touching" it one day..:D

Heather D. ~ Fresh Brewed Designs said...

OOOoooO I love these!!! So beautiful! Is there anything you cant do?? :) ;) I need to take lessons from you :) I have always wanted to learn how to sew. Maybe one day. These are gorgeous!!! I love the color choices too .. WOW! I guess for now I will make mine out of paper :D

Pyrose said...

Bwa-ha-ha! I've converted you! Your bags are so beautiful. Every time I see you carrying your bag, I think "I want one too!". Now I'm armed with the pattern, so once I find time, I'm going to make one too. Sewing a handbag would be a great break from fitting issues. Although I do have a gorgeous dress I still need to make for myself.